Discover why the TFA Corps is the premier alternative teacher preparation and development program in South Carolina.
What is the TFA Corps?
The TFA Corps is South Carolina’s premier alternative teacher preparation and development program that provides first- and second-year educators with the professional, social, and financial support needed to launch an impactful career in the classroom.
As a corps member, you make a two-year teaching commitment at one of our partner school districts in the Lowcountry, Pee Dee, or Upstate community. During this commitment, you receive ongoing training, coaching, and professional development from TFASC that enables you to transform student outcomes at schools with the greatest needs. We also provide you with a pathway to teacher certification and a statewide network of like-minded educational equity advocates.
“The additional layer of support that TFASC provided as a first- and second-year teacher was pivotal. Our education system would be different if teachers were given more support.”
TFASC Alumna and Assistant Principal,
Darlington County Virtual Academy
62% of corps members achieved over a year’s worth of academic growth in their classrooms.
Who is the TFA Corps designed for?
We seek diverse leaders – from all backgrounds and academic interests – who have the desire and ability to imagine bold possibilities, pursue change, and transform student outcomes.
The TFA Corps is designed for:
- Undergraduate and graduate students who did not take a traditional education route but are interested in teaching
- Undergraduate and graduate students who did take a traditional education route and believe in TFASC’s vision
- Non-certified employees in South Carolina schools and school districts, including paraprofessionals, teaching assistants, and substitute teachers
- Career changers who are interested in teaching
What are the benefits as a corps member?
- Transitional grant to help offset transition and summer training costs
- Other financial incentives based on eligibility
- Graduate school and employer partnerships, such as deferrals, scholarships, fee waivers, and internships
- Extensive coaching and professional development opportunities alongside your cohort
- Connections with a cohort of TFASC teachers across the state and with 60,000+ alumni and staff across the nation
- Exclusive career and networking website access
- Leadership for Educational Equity membership
- Teacher certification assistance
What has been the impact of the TFA Corps to date?
teachers supported by TFASC
students impacted by corps members
school districts partnered with TFASC